Though first settled by French and Spanish Creoles from New Orleans, Thibodaux rapidly became a refuge for the Acadian exiles of the mid-1700s. The city’s history still echoes today, through its historic architecture. There’s the 1830s era E.D. White Historic Site, a plantation on Bayou Lafourche that was home to a Louisiana governor and his son, who served on the U.S. Supreme Court. There’s the Rienzi plantation, built during the Spanish colonial days— according to legend— for the Queen of Spain. There’s also the Laurel Valley Village. Once a massive sugar plantation, its dozens of remaining structures give visitors, a window into the past, as it was lived by field hands. As home to Nicholls State University, Thibodaux benefits greatly from the vibrancy and cultural activities that come from being a college town.
Thibodaux is city within Lafourche parish and is nicknamed the “Queen City of Lafourche”. The city was incorporated as a town in 1830 under the name Thibodauxville, in honor of local planter Henry Schuyler Thibodaux. He provided land for the village center and served as acting governor of Louisiana in 1824. The area was developed in the antebellum period for sugar cane plantations, and Thibodaux was the trading center of the agricultural area. The name was changed to Thibodeaux in 1838. The current spelling Thibodaux was officially adopted in 1918.